Sunday, August 4, 2013

Baked Sunday Mornings: Lime Tarragon Cookies with White Chocolate Lime Topping

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe was for Lime Tarragon Cookies with White Chocolate Lime Topping from .  You can view the recipe HERE.

I've never really dabbled with herbs in my baking before, other than lavender.  And I've never ever used fresh tarragon in ANYTHING.  In fact, I had to visit four different grocery stores in my area before I found fresh tarragon.

Fresh tarragon leaves don't really have a smell, but once you cut into them there is quite a strong licorice/anise scent.  I was worried this would overpower the flavor in the cookies.  However, I made the dough according to the recipe and tasted it (I LOVE cookie dough), and there was just a hint of the tarragon taste, enough to compliment the lime flavor without overpowering it.  I finely minced the tarragon so that it was distributed pretty evenly throughout the dough.

The recipe said to roll the chilled dough into balls, and during baking they really kept their shape.  I thought they had almost a shortbread flavor, with a refreshing hint of lime and licorice.   The white chocolate on top was a great compliment of sweet to the savory.  The texture was firm and maybe a little on the crumbly side.  It was different than any cookie I'd ever tasted, but I thought it was delicious.   Even my pickiest 12-year-old liked them :)

I'm not sure if I'd make these again, unless I had another use for the tarragon or grew my own...I ended up using only about one-eighth of the plant and tossing the rest. 

Otherwise, thumbs up!

IMG_5280edit

See what other bakers thought of this recipe HERE


Baked Sunday Mornings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Day Just Iced I'm Lizelle from East London in South Africa can I please ask you to share your royal icing recipe with me I've tried making royal icing but was a flop and then 2ndly wanted to ask advice how long after you make the cookies can you put it on a shelf to sell. How long is shelf life? Hope to hear from you soon. My email add is: allanlizellebrown@ymail.com thanks

Facebook Fan Box

just-iced cookies on Facebook